The Metoclopramide for Avoiding Pneumonia after Stroke (MAPS-2) Trial: a single-blind, randomized controlled trial of metoclopramide for the prevention of pneumonia in patients with dysphagia after an acute stroke
The aim is to test whether giving metoclopramide 10 mg three times a day for 14 days prevents pneumonia and death after acute stroke.
Please click MAPS-2 to randomize a participant and enter data. It will take you to the RedCap site.
Please click here for a protocol summary, the expressioin of interest form, the study team, and our newsletters.
If you have had green light to open the study you will have to authorize your local team on the Redcap Website. You will need the invitation email you have been sent with the temoprary password. Please click here for instructions.
Please watch this video to guide metoclopramide/saline administration via the nasogastric tube.
We have 95 participants and 36 active centres.
- Stoke-on-Trent (Dr Anushka Warusevitane Ass PI Dr Sushanth Shankar) 
- Chester, Countess of Chester (PI Prof Kausik Chatterjee, Ass PI Dr Pramodh Hettiarachchi) 
- London, Northwick Park Hospital (Dr Aravinth Sivagnanaratnam) 
- Exeter Royal Devon and Exeter (Prof Martin James) 
- Durham (ANP Michelle Matthews) 
- Truro, Royal Cornwall Hosptial (Dr Katja Adie) 
- Bury St Edmunds (Dr Abdul Azim) 
- Aberdeen (Dr German Guzman Gutierrez Ass PI Dr Hazel Thompson) 
- Whiston St Helens and Knownsley (Dr Sunanda Mavinamane) 
- Bournemouth, Royal Bournemouth Hosptial (Dr Katharine Fairbairn) 
- Sunderland, Royal Sunderland Hospital (Dr Naweed Sattar) 
- Glasgow Royal Infirmary (Prof Terry Quinn) 
- Southhampton, University Hospital Southampton (Dr Shivaprasad Siddegowda) 
- Northampton General Hospital NHS Trust (Dr Venkatesan Srinivasan) 
- Swansea (Dr Peter Slade) 
- Taunton, Musgrove Park Hospital (Dr Babu Pusuluri) 
- Aberystwyth Bronglais Hospital (Dr Syed Abid Raza) 
- Wolverhampton New Cross Hosptial (Dr Nasar Ahmad) 
- Glasgow, Monklands (Dr Mark Barber) 
- Cambridge, Addenbrooks University Hospital (Dr Kayvan Khandjooi) 
- Llanelli Prince Philip (Dr Senthil Kumar)
- London Barts Health Royal London, Newham and Whipps Cross (Dr Oliver Spooner)
- Carmarthen Glangwili GH (Dr Pagdala Sridhar)
- Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS FT (Dr Joyce Balami)
- Middlesborough, James Cook Hosptial (Mr Andrew Young)
- Milton Keynes University Hopstial NHS FT (Dr Yousif Behnam)
- Leicester, University Hosptial (Dr Kashif Musarrat)
- Leeds Teaching Hosptials (Dr Vasileios Papavasileiou, AssPI Dr Rebecca Tremain)
- Nottingham University Hospital (Dr Senthil Raghnathan)
- Belfast Health and Social Care Trust (Dr Patricia Fearon)
- Sandwell Hospital (DR Sissi Ispoglou)
- Birmingham, University Hosptial of Birmingham (Dr Mark Wilmot)
- Crewe, Leighton Hospital (Mrs Holly Maguire)
- Liverpool Arrowe Park Wirral University Hospitals NHS FT (Dr Ruth Davies)
- Dundee NHS Tayside (Dr Matt Lambert)
- Luton and Dunstable University Hosptial (Dr Lakantha Alvis)
R&D approvals/ sponsor green light pending